So, What To Do Now?
To say the least, the next few weeks are going to be stressful. I've been here in El Paso for nearly three years now and the TV station I work for recently offered me a new contract that I HAD to turn down. Over the years I've seen a lot of bad contracts. My experience as a broadcaster covers both radio and television...six years in radio and six years in TV...and the contract they offered me was (using my best "Comic Book Guy" voice from the Simpsons)...the worst contract ever! The reasons I turned the deal down are numerous and complicated but in the end I just couldn't sign what I felt was a bad deal.
Turning down the contract is bittersweet for me...I love the people I work with, I love the product we put on the air everyday and above all I love my job. I've also had the good fortune to have connected with our viewers both on and off air...thanks to a successful track record of being on the highest rated newscasts on our station...but a bad deal is a bad deal.
So, now the scramble is on to find a new job, hopefully, I can find something that will start in June, however, I'm kind of getting a late start so I will settle for July or August.
As I sit here cross-eyed looking at all the material I have to try to put together my "tape" (really it's a DVD)...Im feeling pretty good...my plan is to apply for weather jobs, news anchor jobs and news anchor / reporter jobs.
Right now, I'm taking a quick break from putting my "tape" together but I will be up late making sure all is in order so I can mail out a big stack of tapes starting tomorrow.
Wish me luck!


2 Comments:
Why not come to the San Francisco Bay Area Greg? You could stay at my sister's house (where I am) temporarily ... I know it's expensive but the jobs pay well ...
Maybe your bosses will offer you another contract .. did you tell them what you wanted in the contract? Always room for improvement ... Good luck,
Jennifer
Spokane's nice. And we have a job opening in the Weather department. Hint, hint, hint..wink...wink. That's a Monty Python reference. I don't know if what I say will hold water but just send out your tape anyway, I'll give you a good word. This place is awesome to work for. Plus I'd love to work with you again.
CS
Post a Comment
<< Home